Last summer and fall were full of not only home improvement projects, but trying to decorate a large house on a dime. I had been looking for matching bedside lamps for our guest room to replace the mis-matched and undersized lamps I had put there as placeholders. I didn't really want to spend much money, though, especially on a room that is rarely seen. One day as I was walking through Salvation Army, I came upon two of these babies, for just $1.99 each. Sold!
Unfortunately, this is the part where I forgot to take pictures of the process of transforming the shades, but basically it went something like this:
- Measure 11 inches from the top of the shade and use a utility knife to score through the shade all the way around.
- Tear the metal band off of the former bottom edge of the shade (now cut off) and hot glue it to the new bottom edge of the shade.
- Cut fabric to size for the shade. Since the shade wasn't perfectly cylindrical, I used some craft paper to first make a pattern, which I then copied onto the fabric. I knew the width of the fabric would be really close to the amount I'd need to go all of the way around the lamp, but because of the pattern, I was able to save a lot of fabric from the trash can that I know would have ended up there had I guessed.
- I hot glued one edge of the fabric to the lamp to make sure it didn't move, then used Elmer's spray adhesive to secure the fabric all of the way around the shade. To close off with a nice seam, I turned under the fabric before gluing.